The Houston Marathon Committee is committed to producing a high quality event that reduces our carbon footprint and is respectful to the environment. Earlier this year, the Council for Responsible Sport endorsed a Silver ReSport Certification for the 2012 Chevron Houston Marathon weekend of events. The Houston Marathon Committee is the first organization to achieve dual-certification from the Council of Responsible Sport for the 40th Annual Chevron Houston Marathon and the U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Marathon and is one of 36 different events worldwide to achieve ReSport Certification.
In 2012, the Houston Marathon Committee diverted 83% of waste collected out of landfills. The diversion process took over 130 hours during a five-day period. The goal for the 2013 race is to divert 90% of waste from the weekend. The ultimate goal is to become a zero waste event.
To achieve this goal, the Green Crew has modified their waste collection process and improved education for runners, spectators and vendors. To reduce our environmental footprint, the Houston Marathon Committee will:
- Distribute reusable gear check bags to all race participants
- The runner bag will contain a race bib, timing device, safety pins and a zip tie. Offers from sponsors and EXPO Vendors will be available in a virtual format to reduce paper waste.
- Supply convenient recycling and composting bins at EXPO and We Are Houston RunFest
- At this year’s race you will find dual waste containers placed throughout the George R. Brown Convention Center and at the We Are Houston RunFest in Discovery Green. One container will collect compost materials while the other container collects all recycling and trash. All waste will then be separated after the race at an offsite facility.
- Enforce a 100% NO STYROFOAM Policy
- We request that you not use any cups, plates or containers that are made from polystyrene foam (Styrofoam). We suggest the use of compostable or, if possible, recyclable products.
- Donate over 2,000 pairs of running shoes to SEARCH Homeless Services
- EXPO visitors may bring their used running shoes for donation to the Waste Management booth at the Ironman Sports Medicine Institute at Memorial Hermann EXPO.
- Encourage everyone from participants, volunteers and spectators to use alternative transportation options to travel to and from events. Our website will be updated closer to the event with more information.
- All marathon and half marathon finishers will receive Under Armour finisher shirts made from recycled plastic bottles
- Under Armour produces an entire line of Green products made from recycled plastic bottles. Products made from recycled materials reduce waste to landfills and reduce the need for raw materials derived from fossil fuels.
- Compost at least 50% of food waste and other organics, including all water station cups
- The fluids cups provided are made of compostable material, unlike conventional cups made from petroleum-based plastic.
- Collect and donate three tons of clothing left behind on the race course to Star of Hope
- Tap into the renewable energy sources at the George R. Brown Convention Center
- The George R. Brown Convention Center has earned LEED Silver Certification for an existing building. The building saves energy, minimizes water use, reduces CO2 emissions, recycles waste and maintains high indoor environmental quality.
- Provide environmentally-friendly portable toilets and sinks
- Use vehicles that require alternative-fuel for at least 25% of all event weekend vehicles
- Provide 100% paperless race registration
- All registration documents for the Chevron Houston Marathon, Aramco Houston Half Marathon, and ABB 5K are processed online.